First Post

 

Post 07.11.2020

By Charlotte

This blog is something I have wanted to do for many years now. I have always wanted to share my weekly thoughts as a kind of makeshift article, professional yet natural. There is something soothing to writing, an indistinct combination of melancholy and joy. To explore my own judgements and convey them with simplicity is an aspiration of mine, deep-rooted in my dependence on approval...

 

It is the beginning of November. We are drawing to the end of a somewhat painful year. For most of us, we have been engulfed by a viral pandemic, that decisively entered our communities and laid rage upon the population and economy. To try to explain the implications of this virus would be an insult, for I could not without missing the severity of the disease. Mental health has suffered. Physical wellbeing has been damaged. Education has been lost. Young lives have been imprisoned. Elderly lives have been lost. Many have been lost. The sense of loss from this year will stay with many of us for decades to come. Perhaps, on a more depressing note and lending towards the articular melancholy of this piece, some of us will never truly recover. The impact too great. The experience too scaring. For others, whilst we still listen to the familiar sirens at lockdown’s start line, it is still too premature to contemplate or digest exactly what this pandemic has done to our today and future. Whilst we try to navigate this harsh reality, I am hopeful that science will prevail. That a vaccine will arrive at each of our doorsteps. I dreamt once, clearly with naivety, the vaccine arrived in a gift-like cardboard box, mud-stained and bruised, with a yellow label hanging from it. This label swayed in the wind outside my front door. As you turned the label over, I could see the writing was delicate. The words brief, yet each letter carefully scripted. The label read “The End.” Maybe, from that moment in time, we will be able to begin the healing process. Nurse our wounds. The symbolic nature of that final chapter is what we all eagerly await. Yet, for now, the ironically democratic sirens still sound for our isolation. We all entered the waiting room last March, not quite sure what was wrong. We all attended our appointment. Now we wait for the results. We must wait for our medical professionals and scientists to formulate the solution. Until then, the only place is the waiting room. Until our names are called, one by one, to receive our vaccine in the doctor’s office, we must wait. Just remember, however cringe-worthy this next comment may be, that we are all in the waiting room together. It is one room. But the virus still lingers in this one room. So, we must sit apart. We must use space to our advantage. We must just sit and wait until you hear your name being called. Finally, you will be able to stand up, breathe in the newly sterilised air  and step forward to receive your future.  

I, myself, try and conserve this scenario in my mind. It helps me gain an understanding of the current climate in a simple yet effective way. In the meantime, I keep busy. What do you enjoy doing? I have learnt that beneath the glare of 2020, you can use this year to re-set. Ask yourself, how can I change myself for the better. Time is something many of us have been gifted with this year. Perhaps, even though the arts have suffered, creativity is something we could all turn to. Being a member of the younger generation, normally I am submerged in the demands of academics, and so over the years I have allowed my creative side to be ignored. That is why I am writing again. That is why I am cooking. That is why I am learning to play the guitar. I do not want to waste this time. Even though, normality has deserted us, we can still reconnect to our past selves. I would encourage anyone who reads this piece to follow a routine for the rest of this year. Set yourself three or so goals. What do you enjoy doing? Cooking, dancing, walking, or drawing? Learn a language. Upskill yourself. Wake up each morning and write yourself a checklist of what you want to do. Yesterday, for example, I had four items on my list. The first being a morning dog walk; the second being a baking session; the third being a Spanish lesson; the fourth being a run. Simple yet effective steps, that meant by the time I got to dinner, I sat into front of the TV relieved that I had not entertained the boredom that lockdown invites. I encourage you to do the same. Make yourself busy. Enjoy your week and learn something new.

 



To inspire you, I made a Banoffee, Chocolate Raisin and Lotus Biscuit Pie. Deliciously creamy and tasteful. My recipe was simple. Ingredients cost me £4.50. Preparation took me 20 mins.

Banoffee, Chocolate Raisin and Lotus Biscuit Pie

 


1)            1)  Crush a packet of digestive biscuits

2)           2) Add one block of baking butter to the biscuits and fold together to form a ‘dough like’ consistency.

3)           3)  Add this to the base of a tin.

4)           4) Leave to chill in fridge for approximately 25 mins

5)            5) After, spread 1 tin of caramel onto the base. Make sure evenly spread.

6)          6) Add a layer of chocolate raisins on of the caramel. (You can add whatever chocolate you like to this layer. For example, some may want also to add chocolate orange slices or Maltesers)

7)          7)  Add a layer of banana on top.

8)           8) Sprinkle banana with A LOT of grated chocolate and place some chocolate chips or chunks between the banana slices.

9)           9)Add a layer of whipped cream.

10)         10) Sprinkle with lotus biscuit to create the perfect pie.

 Recommended Song: Epiphany by Taylor Swift. Whilst you're on  walk. Whilst you're cooking. Whilst you're reading. Whilst you're learning. Whilst you're sitting in that waiting room, this song is a great listen.





Recommended book: Becoming by Michelle Obama 


Thank you for reading.

Have a lovely week x

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts